A natural growth of facial hair is quite normal and everybody has it but getting excess hair on face, chin, neck and upper lips is a big embarrassment for many ladies. It leads to losing their self-confidence and people tend to tease and mock by telling them they have got masculine features. But it’s not in their hands. The reason is PCOD/PCOS. These are responsible for those ugly facial hair.
Now many of us must be wondering what is PCOD and what are the symptoms and causes ?
PCOD(Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease) or we may also call it PCOS(Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) is an ovary disease in which ovary tends to develop small cysts(sacs filled with fluid). PCOD leads to abnormal hormonal changes which leads to infertility, disturbed menstrual cycle or developing masculine features in female body. The excessive growth of facial hair is caused due to this disease. The reason is due to disturbance of hormonal mechanism ovaries tend to produce male reproductive hormones (androgens). This condition is also called hirsutism.
Symptoms or signs of PCOD:
- Infertility or lack of ovulation
- disturbed menstrual cycle
- Extra hair on face, chin, forehead and chest.
- Weight gain , obesity or irregular weight lose
- High blood pressure and cholesterol
- Skin tags under armpits
- Deeper voice
As such the causes are not known but the major reasons may be:
- Genetics: if your mother or other ladies in the house tend to face this issue that may be transferred to you as a heredity factor.
- Hormonal imbalances during puberty or pregnancy can also lead to PCOD.
- Overproduction of androgen (male reproductive hormones) is the major reason of PCOD.
- Excess production of insulin in the body can be a contributing factor in over production of androgen.
Thyroid levels can also be a reason.
PCOD is not curative. We can just control the symptoms and causes and take some preventive measures to control abnormal hormonal levels.
But yes ladies the facial hair that you get as a result of PCOD can be treated well with some superb home remedies so that you don’t feel conscious about it and get a smooth and gloomy face with any unwanted facial hair.
Try out these beneficial remedies and enjoy the results.
1. Spearmint tea
Spearmint tea has anti androgenic properties and when consumed on regular basis prohibits or slows down the growth of unwanted facial hair. You can combine this tea with lemon tea for added flavors and benefits. You can easily find this tea in grocery stores. If consumed twice a day on a daily basis for a month you will notice the hair regrowth gradually decreases and this is extremely helpful in treating PCOD.
2. Chaste berry
Chaste berry is a flowering plant and known to treat hirsutism. It is known to balance all the hormones in women body. It helps in treating unwanted facial hair by increasing the production of luteinizing hormone which results in increasing the production of progesterone hormone which is responsible for feminine features. You can consume chase tree extract only after consulting a doctor as it affects the female hormones. Consume 175kg grams of extract daily for at least 2 to 6 months to get permanent results to get rid from unwanted facial hair. It also cures PCOD/PCOS.
3. Gelatin peel off mask
This is an easy home recipe for treating unwanted facial hair. Gelatin is smelly and messy but once you try it you will end up praising its results. You can use lemon juice and few essential oils along with gelatin to get a perfect mask.
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 2 or 3 drops of milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Few drops of essential oil like lavender
- Mix all the four ingredients in a bowl.
- Blend it properly and place the bowl in microwave for 15-20 minutes.
- Let it cool a bit and apply the mask immediately as gelatin sticks fast to your face.
- Keep in mind that you don’t apply it near eyebrows or eyes.
- Let it dry for 5 minutes and peel it off slowly.
- All the facial hair and acne will stick to the peel off mask giving you a glowing and smooth face.
- Be careful while using gelatin as it is messy and it can be cumbersome for you to remove it if applied to hair, eyes or eyebrows.
- You will be happy with the results as it gives 90% results.
4. Lavender and tea tree oil
You can create an amazing spray from this combination. The goodness of this essential oil lavender and tree reduces the growth of facial hair.
Mix both the oils in equal proportion and make a spray. Spray it on facial hair as many times as you can daily for at least 3 months and you will be surprised with the results. You can use cotton balls dipped in these oils and apply on face instead of using a spray.
5. Potato, honey, lentil and lemon juice mask
Potato is known for its bleaching properties and lightens facial hair. It is an Ayurveda treatment for facial hair. Potato when combined with lemon and honey works wonders in removing the unwanted facial hair. Lentil on the other hand works as a scrub for removing hair from root. The combination of four gives you natural and miraculous results.
- 1 cup of lentil soaked overnight
- Potato juice of 1 cup peeled and sliced potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 4 teaspoon of honey
- Take the soaked lentil and make a thin paste.
- Mix the potato juice, lentil paste, lemon juice and honey properly.
- Apply the mask on face for 10 minutes.
- Now massage/rub your face in opposite direction of hair growth to take the hair out of roots.
- Wash your face and apply essential oil on your face for better results.
6. Turmeric facial mask
Turmeric is a natural medicine which shrinks facial hair follicles resulting in lesser hair growth and makes facial hair thinner, finer. Turmeric is an ingredient which can be used with multiple home remedies to give you magical results from those ugly facial hair.
You can combine it with plain yogurt and apply it twice a day for 2 months to see the results.
You can use turmeric with Indian nettle leaves. Make a smooth paste of Indian nettle leaves and mix it with turmeric. Apply the paste overnight or for 40-60 minutes and then wash it off. Nettle leaves permeates to skin and causes thinning of facial hair.
You can use turmeric with gram flour or chick pea flour. Mix chick pea flour with turmeric and add few drops of milk and cream to it for moisturizing the skin. Apply the paste daily on facial hair and rub the mixture on your face so that it can minimize the growth.
6. Black Cohosh herb
Black Cohosh is a flowering plant and has anti androgenic properties to slow down the growth of facial hair. It has phytoestrogen which is extremely helpful in case of PCOD/PCOS as this is not secreted by endocrine glands but consumed in your diet from phytoestrogen plants. It is also used to treat menstrual imbalances and stress due to hormonal imbalance. You can consume it in capsule form, powdered form or also use it for preparing tea as well.
You can prepare black cohosh tea as follows:
- 20 grams of Black cohosh root (dried)
- 4 cups water
- Honey for sweet taste
- Take boiling water and add the root to it.
- Boil it till only 1/3rd quantity of water is left.
- Stain it and add honey for flavor.
- Drink just one cup of tea. Over consumption of this tea leads to nausea, dizziness or headache.
7. Homemade sugar wax
This wax can be used to remove unwanted facial hair at home. It is super easy to prepare and very effective in taking out facial hair.
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix sugar with honey and add 1 tbsp. of water and mix the three properly.
- Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds.
- Melt the sugar till the time it makes a viscous liquid.
- Cool the wax and use a spatula to apply it on facial hair.
- Use a strip and pull off the wax and hair in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Get a hair free face using this amazing remedy at home
- You can use bleach to lighten the facial hair.
- Daily scrubbing using sugar and fenugreek can also help in reducing facial hair.
- Avoid using razors and epilators as this may lead to growth of more coarse hair.
- You can use natural skin lightening ingredients like lemon, papaya, orange which naturally lighten facial hair.
- Take proper diet to control drastic hormonal changes in your body.
You have to be patient for getting results as using these remedies you may get results in two three months as it a natural process and will be bit slow. But the results are 100% assured with no side effects and damage.